Monday, April 9, 2012

When you're young and you fall off a horse, you may break something.  When you're my age, you splatter.  ~Roy Rogers


I recently found myself falling off Maya tumbling to the ground and feeling the bottom of her hoofs strick me in my arm and back. Thankfully she sprung off of me without bearing all her weight on me. After the inital shock of her being right over me as she tried to right herself , I realized why I have a 15h horse. The ground is alot harder now at 44 than in my twenties. I have the bruises to prove it. The landing might have been less painful if I was actaully in the ring, but we ventured off to the open fields to do some schooling. Trotting along working on my seat, Maya decided to lurch forward then due her typical sideways spook, sending me off the otherside, and her ontop of me to regain her balance. When I realized the coast was clear I looked up to see Maya at a full gallop looking like she was running the Santa Anita riderless.
I always wondered what she would do if I fell, well now I know: RUN LIKE HELL!!!!
I was in to much pain to get back on her so we had a student ride her in the ring to cool and off and calm her down.  With the kids off all week for spring vacation I am releived to have the week off to recoperate both mentally and physically knowing that my trainer will be riding her.  Now where is my heating pad???

No comments: