Friday, April 27, 2012

Lyme Disease

Well all that funny behavior turned out to be Lyme Disease.  Thankfully the day she dumped me like a hot potato and ran off leaving me dazed and confused, the vet was scheduled to come to the barn for another boarder.  I decided off hand to have him draw a lyme test on her seeing she was hypersensitive to the even the slightest touch.
A week later the results came in, she was positive for Lyme Disease.  We started her on 6 weeks of Doxycycline and then repeat another blood test to ensure that we have eradicated the infection or continue on to another antibiotic.
So far so good: At least the first 2 weeks. Suddenly she has lost weight, become extremely spooky and is back to biting me when I girth her up and try to mount her. Familiar symptoms to an owner of a horse prone to ulcers. I shuttered at the thought of telling my husband that we may need to spend another $1500 on treatments even after relocating her and spending more money on board for a stress free, large grass grazing facility. The only changes that she has recently encountered is the addition of Doxycycline. After speaking with the vet, they believe that the antibiotic is not a contributing factor for her ulcers possibly reoccurring and recommend adding pro-bios daily and 1/4 tube of gastroguard. After 2 weeks we will stop the gastroguard and see if the symptoms have resolved.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe the Doxy is really upsetting her stomach and this may not be an ulcer issue at all.

No comments: