Sunday, December 18, 2011

On going tummy ache...

Maya has been struggling with on going tummy aches since we brought her home in Aug. The move has been harder on her than I hoped, adjusting from being outside 24/7 with free choice of hay and water to splitting her day between stall and outdoor paddock with 3 new friends. In the beginning weeks she had 3 episodes of colic in 3 weeks. She had no interest in drinking water in her stall which caused her to develop an impacted colic with intervention taken only the 1st time. The other times she was thankfully able to pull out of it with early measures. We added tums, 12 twice a day with her grain and hay soaked in an additional water bucket and salt in her feed bucket.  After a month we weaned her off the tums when she began to increase her water intake in her stall.  We all believed she was over the stress of the move and the idea of being in a stall in the evening when a month later, yesterday, I received a phone call saying that she was showing signs of distress again. Laying down, pawing and refusing to eat. After some banamine and walking she turned a corner.  The barn manager talked to the vet and instructed us that we need add tums to her diet again and schedule an appointment to scope her to check for ulcers.  I was concerned earlier in the week when she looked uncomfortable while I tightened her girth with ears pinned and head drawn back to where I was standing.  As silly as it sounds I felt she was telling me something, now I know.  My heart breaks for her.  I want her to be happy where she is, but I am not sure if she needs something closer to the surroundings she was in, out to pasture 24/7, or if she will eventually get past the stress of the move. I love where I am, and they love her. They know her habits and the subtle signs she exhibits when she is in distress. The knowledge and experience with the BM and workers is so invaluable and the owners are on premise and keep a close eye on her through the night if they have any concern. Even the boarders are all close that we know each others horse well enough to recognize a problem early on.
I stopped by this evening with her favorite, pears and carrots, and she was very alert and loved her treats. I am going to arrange an appointment for her scope tomorrow.I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh poor girl. Just wondering though do you have opossum's where you are or where she came from? It's just that Kate of http://ayearwithhorses.blogspot.com
had a horse who kept colicking and it turned out to be EPM http://www.epmhorse.org/
Just a thought