Saturday, May 19, 2012



Ayer Mountain Spring Fling

Maya and I completed our first horse show of the season.  All in all things went off pretty good except for a couple of hiccups.  I placed 3rd in walk/trot equitation, walk/trot pleasure and preliminary dressage.  I placed 6th in walk/trot command, which in the past Maya and I do very well but, they put a Simon Says spin to it which put me in 6th place. Obviously I cannot play Simon Says. The classes were pretty large so I think I did pretty well.
The day leading up to the show was stress free, Maya had a little girl riding her in the show for 3 classes as well and offered to prep her the day before for the show so all I needed to do is clean my tack which I did at home, that's were my first hiccup happened. I loaded the car the night before only to find out when I got to the show that I forgot my girth, of all things! Luckily my trainer had a spare, crises diverted.
After the horses were unloaded and tied to the trailer, I breathed a sigh of relief realizing nothing can go wrong from here. I was prepared to come in dead last because I was having fun and that's all that counted. What I didn't expect was Maya to spook and break free of the trailer tie and gallop off into the fields which caused 2 other horses to do the same.  With help, we were able to collect the horses and get them ready for the show.
During the show classes Maya did very well, a little excited and slightly spooky, but not bad for her first show of the season and knowing off hand that she will fall apart when a ribbon is placed on her or handed to me, we had a helper collect the ribbons after each class. I was more disappointed for the little girl ridding her not to have the opportunity to collect her own ribbons.  We will definitely focus on desensitizing her to show ribbons.

No comments: